Countdown To Port Removal

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Round 3 Tomorrow

I have been feeling really quite well for Labor Day weekend and so far this week.  This stretch that I have been in was the longest that I will have between any two chemo treatments, if all goes according to schedule.  I have tried to enjoy this longer than normal series of good days.  With the good days from Round 1, I really felt like I bounced back to near 100%.  I *think* I had about my usual level of energy for a few days.  With this bounce back, I never regained that level of energy, which is a bit of a bummer.  But again, I can live with that.....I am just noting it. 

I have gathered my things together for tomorrow's Round 3, and that includes making sure that I have my little journal with questions and a summary of my symptoms over the last couple of weeks.  As I was reading through a cancer message board comparing the chemo I'm on now versus the one I am going to get next month, I kept seeing people refer to "flu-like symptoms" and I now see that that summarizes several of the things happening to me.  I knew I was exhausted and not really sore but often achy, and my nose has been running non stop since this whole things started, with more congestion first thing in the morning and then at night, sometimes with a sore throat, and then I see flu-like symptoms and I thought, yes, that sums it up.  The good news is the headaches from the first 10 days have gone away.  I am guessing they were related to the hair loss, but I will ask.  

Speaking of hair, it is basically all gone now.  There are a few stubborn ones left, that refuse to even be loose, so that looks sort of funny.  I am amazed that I no longer feel shock when I see myself in the mirror without anything on my head.  Even more amazing, my family doesn't seem to be bothered one way or the other.  And R2 and I are getting along.  Sort of.  I am still not thrilled with her, but I did figure out that if I accessorize her with my shades on my head like I used to, then it sort of holds down some of the "bounce" in the wig and makes it look/feel a little more natural to me.  With my natural hair, I liked my hair back off of my face some, but I don't like the feel of a headband, so my shades always worked without putting too much pressure on my head.  Maybe I just got used to seeing myself with them on my head...not sure.  Regardless, I feel a little better about walking around with R2 with the shades, so I'm going with that for now. 

Well, it's getting late and I need to get this wrapped up.  I am dreading tomorrow, because I have so enjoyed cooking dinner for the fam over the last several days, and just feeling good and being really "present" with the kids and Chris.  We played several games over the weekend and Jonathan killed us at Monopoly and Caroline is officially all set up with my old saxophone. She is so excited to learn to play it this year in band!  I caught up all the laundry, and the house is clean (okay, not the basement, but pretty much everything else).  I stocked us with lots of milk and basics, and I remain so humbled about the number of friends who want to bring dinners, snacks, desserts...you name it.  That is so very helpful on these days when it is all I can do to be awake.   Here are two pictures I happened to snap with recent treats that showed up on our doorstep.  Friends are an amazing treasure!

 
Special treat from Smallcakes!  Is it possible to gain weight on chemo?!?

Fresh flowers are a special treat!  Love all the purple in here!

No comments:

Post a Comment