Countdown To Port Removal

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Echocardiogram Today

This afternoon I have to go repeat the echocardiogram that I had before starting chemo.  You might remember that one of the scary possible side effects of one of the two drugs I have had in chemo cocktail #1 is heart damage.  Typically, any damage that occurs will show up later (I think a year or more later), but they still need to re-check my heart and make sure it remains healthy and unaffected. Obviously, this is my hope and prayer. I would like to say that this is also my "assumption" but I am scared to assume anything anymore, so I won't.  Also, as we prepare to start two new drugs on Thursday, one of which can also have a side effect of heart damage, they need to have a new baseline prior to administering this new drug as well.  Sigh.

The good news is that instead of having to go through all the needle fear and IV drama like last time, now I plan to stop by the Cancer Center on my way to Piedmont, have the cancer nurses access my port, then head over to Piedmont for the test, so at least that should be one less "thing" to worry about.  The test itself was no big deal...I had to lay down a certain way and the tech instructed me with different breathing (hold your breath, blow out, etc.) and then I could watch on a monitor and see a big picture of my heart (just like watching the ultrasound when expecting a baby) of which the tech then carefully measured the dimensions.  Then we had to repeat it with a contrast, which is why I need the IV.

Otherwise, last Wednesday turned out to be an okay day.  I had to keep fighting the nausea and was left feeling weak and dizzy.  But it was better than Tuesday and then the week improved a little day by day.  By the weekend I was feeling really pretty good other than the annoying cold symptoms that seemed to ramp up (I have given up trying to make sense of all the symptoms other than the nausea), and so I was constantly blowing my nose and wiping tears from my eyes that wouldn't stop watering. Again, not a big deal, just annoying.  I also developed the mouth sores that I had heard so much about and thought that I had avoided.  It just goes to show that with this cancer thing it is not safe to assume anything.  Right when I thought I was out of the woods with side effects for the first type of chemo, then BOOM, no I was wrong again.  These little sores popped up overnight, and are painful, and I am really hoping that they are all healed and gone by Thursday.  On Monday I called to ask why I was just now getting these mouth sores and if there was anything else I could do (I was already treating them with Orajel and Biotene mouth wash).  I was reminded that the effects of the chemo are cumulative, and so the effects build as you go, and that this was not surprising to them.  I have a new prescription for Magic Mouth Wash (love the name!) that has a combo of Maalox, Benadryl and some type of "caine" med (painkiller) that will help.  Yay.

Overall, I have enjoyed feeling "good" since Friday.  I attended soccer games on Saturday and Sunday and was pretty pumped to be able to attend the 5th grade Parent Social on Sunday afternoon.  I had to chuckle that I was able to get out and participate in a school function, which was a nice change, but that I had a big sore on my lip and I was meeting a bunch of people for the first time.  Ugh - not the impression I wanted to make, of course.  Under "normal" circumstances I might have just stayed home for that reason, but I thought...I have missed so much, and the reality is that one sore that is visible is the LEAST of my concerns, and the wig that is scratching my head is another thing that should not be high on my list of concerns, etc., etc.  So I got over myself and once we arrived I didn't think about any of those things...just enjoyed being out and about and meeting the parents of my daughter's friends and classmates.  I was exhausted when it was all said and done, but just glad to be able to attend.

So, I probably won't update again until after Thursday.  Since it will be new drugs, they will go slowly again (like the first time), checking for any allergic reactions along the way.  I plan to bring my new big, thick blanket to wrap up in while my fingers and toes are in the ice.  I am really, really hoping and praying that I can feel better with these new drugs, but I know not to get my hopes up.  We'll find out soon enough, I guess.  Until then, I leave you with a picture of a surprise I received last week.  Our family had never seen a giant fortune cookie before, and it made our day!  Have I mentioned what a blessing it is to be surrounded by such a thoughtful community of folks?!?  Truly humbling.


1 comment:

  1. Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this. I didn't know some of these issues had come up. Glad you got to get out, though. I'm finally catching up on the blog!

    ReplyDelete