Countdown To Port Removal

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Dreaded Day 6

Quick update here.  If you are reading this you probably read my post on Monday where I was feeling some better.  Not sure what happened, but yesterday (Tuesday) was the WORST day so far in this whole thing as far as nausea.  Today, Wednesday, I am up and managed to drive Jonathan to school which was the first since this round of chemo.  So far today is way better than yesterday, so I am cautiously optimistic.  Taking is very slowly.

Usually I wake up in the night several times to use the bathroom, and often I am queasy and so I have my handy Saltines on my nightstand and I eat one or two crackers before laying back down.  I was so groggy on Monday night that I didn't eat anything in the night....not sure if that contributed or not.  For me,  having something IN my stomach seems to be a big helper.  Empty stomach/hunger seems to yield nausea.  Again, this is like pregnancy was for me.  And, I might have forgotten to mention, but I have been having night sweats.  I think that is part of the deal with chemo for many, but it has been very sporadic for me.  This last round has been more consistent with the sweats, and they are highly unpleasant, and sort of freak me out.

Anyway, yesterday morning was just a disaster.  I tried to get up and wake up a bit before waking up the kids.  Even when Chris is home and able to drive the kids to school, I hate to give up my "routine"  and so I prefer to go in and wake them up in my usual way (I have morning songs to sing to wake them up).  Well, without going into details I was unable to walk around and leave the bathroom vicinity yesterday, and so of course that is very upsetting to a SAHM, wherein this is part of your job....getting your children up and getting them ready for school.  The nausea med worked pretty well, but I had to keep taking it throughout the day, and I had to stay really still and was so bored out of my mind.  I know this sounds like complaining, and I promise I am not....just telling you the real deal.  Everyone has been there at some point....flu or surgery....whatever the case....where you are too weak to hold a book and too annoyed with the TV and too tired to keep a straight thought.  It totally stunk, and I was pathetic.  But enough of that.  Today is a NEW DAY.  I am sitting up and I am writing, so that is a huge improvement.  I believe the worst is BEHIND me.  I am moving FORWARD.  I am FINISHED with the yucky chemo that made me feel that way (though I remain THANKFUL for the good the chemo is doing even though it makes me feel like a stranger in my own body).  I truly do never forget to be thankful for the existence of chemo and the good that it does.

Thanks everyone for checking in.  It is all going to be okay and I look forward to the day I can look BACK on these days and just sigh.  Big hugs!

1 comment: